Shaping forum rules (your input welcome)

Started by VLS, Sep 02, 2022, 01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLS

Hi there folks! The forum is still shaping forum rules.

So far, the main points are:

- Published ideas/methods have to be explained in your own words here. I.e. no copy/paste from other places hence no copyright infringement.

- Avoiding "Forum politics" / bringing dramas from other sites. We are here to discuss & test betting ideas. Let's stick to this straightforward, productive way of doing things.

- Of course, basic manners and education must be observed... --I.e. Simply sticking to common-sense "Netiquette" :)
Email/Paypal: betselection@gmail.com

-- Victor

nemo

I'm wondering about a possible rule that addresses the vexed issue of 4-letter words.

Some sites are populated by posters with such a limited vocabulary then can only express themselves with f*** this and f*** that.

We'd have to allow such words as damn...hell...bloody...as they are widely used and generally accepted.

It's the 'other' words that have the real potential to pollute this venture.

And we all know exactly the sorts of words I'm concerned about......

ADulay

Try not to block any words for now.

Those who do use offending language can be sent a note or warning and if their behavior continues, THEN you can tighten up on that user's account or put the word filter in.

Hopefully the users here are more intelligent than the usual group on a lot of the other boards.

AD

VLS

Thanks for your input!

As we get closer to an official site launch, clear rules are being drafted.

The spirit is to keep them very simple & straightforward: no copyright infringement, keeping the language "PG-13" & observing netiquette,

-- Victor

FreeRoulette

I don't know if you were around long enough to have been a member of an old roulette board called Gambler's Glen. They has a lot of members, but then were plaqued with toxic members, fights back and forth. They had a few different moderators, and some were toxic. The board eventually collapsed. Roulette forum also had their share of problems. Some forums are so restrictive that they barely have any activity.

I wonder if a community flag button on the message would help with any of that? If someone gets x amount of flags on their message, then it gets hidden/removed. If they get too many messages removed over a certain time, then they get a span of time where they can't post messages. I would also make it so new members can't flag messages. No new account creation for retaliation sort of stuff. Only members in with a certain standing will be able to flag messages.

When a community gets together for a certain amount of time, for some reason it turns in to a Jerry Springer soap opera battle, even long running reality tv shows lose focus and turn thing into drama. I'm not sure if the answer is to stop it all together on this board, or to have a sepearate section stricktly for that sort of thing. If they want to rant, then they can rant there. Some people only come to a message board to see the daily hubub and to put their two cents in.

VLS

Quote from: FreeRoulette on Sep 10, 2022, 01:28 AMI'm not sure if the answer is to stop it all together on this board [...]

That's the correct answer indeed. We only want productive discussion in our pages.

This one is being added to forum rules:

• Please note this is an English-speaking forum. While we welcome people from all over the world to enjoy us, we kindly ask that all posts are always written in English only. This way we all keep a common ground to foster union.

EDIT: Forum Rules topic published @ https://rouletteideas.com/general-discussion/forum-rules/

-- Victor

FreeRoulette

VLS

Quote from: FreeRoulette on Sep 11, 2022, 07:37 AMWhat about system sellers?

Just added this to our rules page:

• Our community is here for the free sharing of ideas hence no system selling is allowed in our premises.

-- Victor